Sunday, October 18, 2015

apple chips

I choose this recipe, be honest, I think, it's a very easy and simple way to make a snack.
But it turns out, well, not really nice, at least, not qualify to be taken pictures. The color is not quite right, and it tastes OK, but more like dry fruits, sort of chewy too.
First, I don't use parchment paper, I thought that's a waste and not necessary and they stuck.
Second, I don't have a Mandoline, therefore, I hand cut them with a fruit knife, those slices come out not thin enough and not consistent either.
and the last, I don't have patient, since it needs to bake at a low temperature, 200 °F, for an hour, I do wait that long, but it's not crispy yet, so I turn the temperature up a little, and believe this will speed up the process, and that's probably why some of them look a bit burned.
Well, at least, I try, and good luck with your experiment. Have fun!

Ingredients
2 cups water
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
2 to 3 lemons, juiced
2 small apples, preferably a crisp, washed and dried
Directions
In a small pot, combine the water and sugar and bring to a gentle boil over medium heat. Set aside to cool.
Using a Mandoline or sharp knife, cut thin slices. Sprinkle them with lemon juice. Submerge the apple slices in the syrup for a few hours or, even better, overnight.
Preheat the oven to 200 
°F.

Remove the apple slices from the syrup. Place them in a single layer on a baking sheet with parchment paper. Bake them in the oven until crispy, about 1 hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment