Wednesday, July 16, 2014

book review - the World According to Bob

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMWpT3S0C54
This is probably the 1st time ever that I pick a book to read without any special purpose. Like when I was a student, I read and write only for examination or a school report. And times like when I joined a reading group with the book that they already pick for you.

I saw this book at a glance when I was passing the new book section at our local library. The book cover picture, it seizes my attention right away. Then I quickly read the introduction a little bit and I decided that I want to borrow this book to enjoy reading for leisure.

And of course the other purpose of my borrowing and reading is to set an example for kids and encourage them to read something new.

I finish the book in couple of days, as English is not my first language. I really like this book and strongly recommend it to others. No matter that you are a cat lover or not.

It is a true story between James, the author and Bob, the adorable little fellow. James used to be a homeless and additive to drug. And Bob used to a stray cat then James found him and adopt him. Or we should say, the other way around, Bob found James, according to James.

Then they become the best friends and family. They literally take care and protect of each other. They sale “the big issue magazine”, which is a magazine for the homeless to sale so they can earn their daily bread and butter on their own without begging, at London. With Bob’s companion, James finally out of the addiction. They even look after each whenever either one is sick.

James’ parents divorced long ago, his mum then move to Austria. James move with his mum at that time. His father stays at London and later both his parents remarried and have their own family. Since James was little, he has some difficulty times with his mum and was in and out the hospital and on medication. Then one day, when he is 18 years old, he decides to go to London to live with his father and wants to become a busker.

James first comes to London for meeting his father and lives with their family, but somehow, it doesn’t work out, he move out and start his homeless and addiction life until he meet Bob.

Also one of James friend, belle, who is a homeless and drug addiction at that time, help him a lot. Later she is clean from drug too.

I am so moved by every single part of this book. Especially when people ask James, “what if one day Bob gone?” his answer is truly affection. And there are times that James doesn’t want to mention about, those dark times of his life. That is very understandable.
Together they have so many adventures, which make me cry, laugh and drive me into a lot of thinking about myself too.

There are so many words say by James, so real and wisdom too. Like, “You can take a cat from the street, but cannot take the street from a cat.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment