Thursday, July 17, 2014

english - misunderstanding


There are some misunderstandings of the English with the people like me, whose English is not my first language.

“Baby changing center”, a sign I see at a theme park’s restroom long time ago. I’m not quite sure how the sign exact writes. It is the first time that I came to America for a visit. The first thought that comes into my mind is, “oh! My god! I’ve heard America is famous as a country of freedom, but I don’t know they even free to post this kind of sign in public and exchange babies!?”
It turns out that only means; it has a baby change area for diapers and everything for moms or dads inside the restroom.

“Do not pass”, this one I see it when I first drive somewhere (again, its long time ago, do remember where do I drive to) the family for a sightseeing. When I see this sign, I get panic, “do not pass”, and is that mean I have to stop in the middle of the road. And then what should do next. So as I see no sign of police, I step on the gas and drive as fast as I can away from that point. 

Later I found that sign means do not overtake the car in front of you, the road is only one land.

“No standing”, this one I learn from the news, says there are a lot of tourists from china, after done shopping, they squatting, smoking and resting. The news reporters curiously ask them why they don’t sit down. Here are their answer, “we know English, it says not standing, so we squatting. 


Actually that means, no parking. That is funny, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment