Wednesday, August 20, 2014

book review - The Owner's Manual for the Brain

The Owner's Manual for the Brain, it’s a tough book for me to read, there are a lot of medical terms, some of the words I know from I learned biology at school but in Chinese though. I have to look them up on the dictionary quite a great deal, and they are hard to memorize too. Over all, it’s a useful book to know about the brain more.


One born with a useful and complex tool, here is the owner’s manual for how to cherish and improve the best of it. It’s a must read yet a think book to me.

A great book to knowing your own brain, the brain structures are different between men and women, the brain for different age group. Humans’ brain development from embryo to newborn to infant to toddlers to young kids to adolescent to adult to the golden age, how and why is different age stage, the way we act or think differently.


Some of the saying, I’m 100% agree and always thought that way. Something about the mental disorder, no matter is depression or dipolar or so forth, medicine and talk therapy are equally crucial or I should say talk therapy is more important then the medicine.


“Use it or lose it”, yes! Medicine is only for urgent rescue, how to train your brain and behavior to back to the normal status is the cure. Medicine, help you to block or eliminate or induce the hormone/chemical that you have too much or too little. But if you rely on the medicine or surgery (in some cases) then its like, “you don’t use it; you lose it for sure and forever”. It how sadly to see some of the patients’ relatives or friends give up on helping them.


For aging is the only thing is so fair and so unmerciful for everyone. But one thing is that you cannot deny it, you can live longer, healthier, happier and sometimes more helpful for the community that you are in. would you rather be like this kind of aging. Read the book and do what the best you can do.


Some useful suggestions for the golden age people, I totally consent and I’ll recommend to the people for all ages.


This book is divided into 7 parts and 36 chapters in total, over 1000 pages long. I’m just at the beginning still has a long way to go. From the basic knowledge of our brain to the very details, I desire to finish the book as quick as I can. Also I love the ending chapter, “closing with a prayer”.



This is what I quote from part of the summary,” Drawing from the frontiers of psychology, neurobiology, and cognitive science, yet organized and written for maximum usability.”

No comments:

Post a Comment