Thursday, May 7, 2015

book review - still alice


Finally I get to borrow this book from our library and finish it. It’s a book and it’s a movie too now. And I know for sure that my kids won’t want to go see with me so I read the book.

I can only understand why they want to put this book into movie, so touch, from the point of the patient’s view to see and describe the world around her, from the day she feels something not quite right with her to been diagnose probably is an Alzheimer’s victim to know for sure that she has Alzheimer’s disease.

I tear a lot over this book. Especially the describes about Alice attend the national Alzheimer’s association, the speech and when she read the letter that she write to herself before she lost all the memories.

The author, Lisa Genova, with a degree in Biopsychology and has a Ph.D. in Neuroscience from Harvard University. She’s been interview a lot of activities and in contact with the people who are close to Alzheimer’s disease including the patients themselves, the caregivers, doctors and the like.

There are so much that I learn from this book and the author including being brave to write. Go to her web you’ll find more.

One thing got me a lot of thinking is, should we do or not to do the genetic disease screening program about whether we might be the candidate of certain kind of genetic disease? I totally agree that kind of test with fetal or I should say embryo instead.  But with kids or adults is that necessary, may be in some way. As I ever heard people say, “you are killed by you own fears not the disease”.

Being educated about diseases and get involved in the support groups are so important. The professional support groups or just regular ones like with the patients’ family. And also support groups of any kind for our daily lives, no one can survive without companions, but just be ware of which type people you are being with, if you don’t think you can have a good impact from them, leave, quick, before it’s too late.

Still Alice Trailer


No comments:

Post a Comment